Saturday, April 16, 2011

Kurt Vonnegut as a Massey Mustang

     Imagine if Kurt Vonnegut was a student at Massey. Walking the halls as every other, attending class and getting involved in school clubs.....sike. I don't know about you but when I picture Vonnegut on the same level as me as a Massey Mustang, I don't visualize some participative goody-two shoes. I see an outsider who skips class and doesn't put as much effort to do work or become a social butterfly.
     After learning about Vonnegut's past, I know that he didn't exactly receive schooling to become a writer. No one taught him how to write, he created his own style of writing. This fact contributed to how I pictured him as a student. As someone who didn't have the determination or desire to sit 6 hours a day listening to how he should do things, when he could very much likely teach himself. Vonnegut seems like the type of person who blends in yet stands out at the same time. He wouldn't try and fit in and be a follower, but not doing so would make him different from the rest. A quote that just popped into my head relates exactly to what Vonnegut's motto might have been like: "You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because you're all the same."
     I can see him hanging around the smokers' pit, off to the side, just thinking on his own, the other smokers not acknowledging his presence, yet not minding it either. He wouldn't be a bother to anyone. His teachers would appreciate the quietness (at times) and his fellow classmates would just let him be and have nothing to say (except maybe the occasional "do you have an extra pen I could borrow?").
     I'd say that Kurt Vonnegut would like attending Massey, and none of us would mind it as well.

4 comments:

  1. interesting idea for a blog post christine, I would have never have thought of this topic in my wildest dreams! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, I like this idea Young G, it kinda seems random that he'd chill at the pit though? Idk, it just seems more likely that he'd either be in the library or involved in some sort of club/activity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks henry and tareq, and I mentioned the pit because I knew he used to smoke :p

    ReplyDelete